Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Not Just Any Chocolate Chip Cookies...

I decided to make this recipe for a friend who is allergic to almost all of the things that are in cookies: wheat, dairy, soy, and eggs.  It sucks.  So I found this recipe so that I could make it suck a little less. :)

Chocolate Chip Cookies
(gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free)



Ingredients:

3 cups blanched almond flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 whole eggs*
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I found a brand that is dairy/soy free)
1/2 cup coconut oil (organic/unrefined)

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375° F.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
In a small mixing bowl beat eggs (or egg substitutes listed below), maple syrup, and vanilla extract with a fork.
Pour wet ingredients into dry and beat with a hand mixer or kitchen aid until combined.
Melt coconut oil, pour into batter, and continue to blend until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
On a parchment-lined baking sheet, drop tablespoon-size balls of cookie dough.
Bake for 15 minutes. (Because I changed the recipe and didn't use eggs, mine only took 10 minutes to bake.)  
Let cool and serve with coconut or almond milk. 


*The person I was making these for is allergic to eggs, so I used the following instead:
1/4 cup of “extra light tasting olive oil” (canola oil sometimes contains soy) = 1 egg 
1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. warm water = 1 egg 

Cook's Notes:

I think the next time I make these I might use double the corn starch instead of using the olive oil, which will help cut down on the calories and fat.

Also, I'm sure it would be possible to use a different flour, making the cookies nut free as well; however, I have not tried it with any other other gluten free flours (brown rice, coconut, etc.).  If you do try it with a different flour, let me know how it turns out! 

This is the brand of chocolate chips that I used:



Disclaimer: This is not an original recipe; it was adapted from a Paleo cookbook and multiple online sources.



Enjoy!

Mrs. Modern

No comments:

Post a Comment